William POTTS (1868–1949)

Author and editor of the Banbury Guardian

16 Parson’s Street, Banbury

William Potts was the son of John Potts, Editor and Proprietor of the Banbury Guardian. He was educated at Ark House School, Banbury, and in 1892 succeeded his father, and his grandfather and namesake, William Potts, as Editor and Proprietor of the Banbury Guardian. His tenure lasted 54 years. The newspaper had been founded by his grandfather in 1838, initially to create better understanding of the Poor Law and especially to highlight the role of the Board of Guardians and their public accountability. In 1843 it became a weekly publication.

William Potts the Younger was intensely interested in local history and frequently lectured on the subject. He wrote a History of Banbury, drawing on the earlier work of Alfred Beesley (1841) and researching new material in the PRO, Bodleian, British Museum and the Muniments Room of Lincoln Cathedral Library. This work, revised and expanded by E. T. Clark (another Editor of the Banbury Guardian) in 1958, remains a definitive work.

16 Parson's Street


William Potts also worked tirelessly to promote the interests of the local community, including the Horton General Hospital.


Source: Potts and Clark, A History of Banbury (1958)


The plaque was unveiled at 16 Parson’s Street, Banbury (left) on 30 April 2002 by Hugo Brunner, Lord Lieutenant of Oxfordshire.

William Potts plaque


Oxfordshire Blue Plaques Board


Local Author & Editor of
The Banbury Guardian
for 54 years at
the printing works 

Banbury Civic Society

© Oxfordshire Blue Plaques Board


Email: oxfordshireblueplaques@gmail.com